4 years ago my Nana gave me a ‘Juniper Bonsai Tree’ as she called it. Is was chuffed to bits because I’d admired it in her back garden for year previous as I was being drawn into bonsai. This is the tree as I received it.
I studied the tree and made selective choices as to which branches to remove and which to keep. Then knowing it was in her back garden for many a year I did an emergency repot. Only to find it was pot bound at all. Which I was very surprised with.
So a year later and its starting to take shape. At this time I had been looking after my tree for around two years. Everything about styling and cultivation is very new to me at this time. Where do I go from here!??
Selective branches removed again at the next styling and a repot to a smaller pot.I gave the tree a twelve month break, building up its health.here are some close ups of the deadwood.2011 the tree had a slip pot into better medium and a newer slightly deeper pot, with health in mind. This was done in preparation to styling summer 2012.
Having developed in my understanding and skills in bonsai I took with pad and pencil to coming up with a concept drawing for the restyle.I took this concept and wired the tree during a workshop club night and a guidance chat with members and Artist Simon Temblett. He loved the idea and I styled the tree. Here are the results.Close up of the foliage placement.With overwintering through some crazy weather, i fitted the pot with a new skirt. To hold chicken poo pellets as slow release feed for spring growth.The tree has come out ready to burst with energy. Here’s the tree this evening…
The wire will be removed this summer after growth has taken place to make sure the shape has formed. They were put on with movement in mind, I have check for biting in and everything seems good. Later toward the end of the season I will be looking at refinement, maybe at home or the burrs event, not sure yet 😉